Monday 17 September 2012

DIY peter pan collar - Guest Blog!


Hello everyone! I feel so honored to be featured on Erica's wonderful blog! 
My name is Amanda and I am currently a student at the University of Minnesota in the U.S. I am applying to medical schools for next fall and it has been a very stressful process but it's taught me to make the most of my free time. One of my favorite things to do is find inexpensive ways to make the latest styles and lately the trend involves a lot of collar action! I've noticed that people are starting to wear sleeveless chiffon shirts with Peter Pan-esque collars and it reminds me a lot of the late 80's, early 90's. Kind of cool but kind of strange that my mom probably wore something like this. 


Since I'm not ready to splurge on a handful of shirts since my medical school applications are killing the bank, I've decided to go the collar necklace route. What is that you say? It's a necklace that mimics a collar that you can attach to any shirt (preferably boat-neck)!
All you really need is:
  • stiff felt (white or black is best for matching any outfit)
  • glitter, rhinestones, sequins, embellishments, etc.
  • felt or tacky glue
  • toothpicks
  • ribbon
  • hand-drawn collar template or printed template




1. With a sheet of paper, hand draw a template and place it around your neck for fit (I suggest wearing a round neck shirt to help guide you). Other possibilities are these templates I found online:


2. Measure out a 2 long lengths of ribbon (about 11 inches) and attach one to the upper part of each necklace with glue.

3. Lay out your desired pattern and start gluing the rhinestones, sequins, etc. 



4. Allow to dry for a couple of hours. Then find a shirt or dress with a round neck and tada! You have a collar that you can wear with anything!





I couldn't find the right ribbon during this day so the pictures above are only the collar parts. They really take a lot of intricate work but so worth it!

Thank you so much Erica for letting me guest blog, it has been fun and I hope that you guys enjoyed this tutorial.

Much love, Amanda



No comments:

Post a Comment